Followers

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Former student/good friend

Friday morning brought a welcome visitor who brought a blast from the past. Dave Sloan attended Intermountain Bible College from 1968-1974. He would come in as a monotone and leave an excellent baritone singer. Dave would spend a few years in the "professional" ministry and then become an outstanding "lay" worker. Dave works for City Market,  a supermarket chain in Fruita, Colorado connected with Krogers, King's Soopers, and Dillons stores in Kansas. He has worked there for a long time while raising his family and caring for music in local churches. 

Dave came to IBC with a group of special guys, most of whom are still active in the ministry--Dennis Whisler (Roy, Utah), Rick Bender (Cortez, CO), Carroll Moore (Deceased), Vernon Ely (forest department in Arizona). We had a lot of fun with these guys as most of them lived with us for a time in the boys' dorm. 

Dave and the gang invited my wife over one night for supper. They also invited several girls to the dinner. When dinner was over Dave gathered up all the dishes and marched to the toilet. Soon we heard the toilet being flushed. Dave came out with the wet plates, as serious and a judge, and announced, "Dish washer." My wife and I knew it was a joke, but the girls didn't. Some of them turned green and were ready to lose their suppers. That legend will live with Dave forever. I hope someone brings it up at his funeral. 

Several years later I visited Dave at El Paso where he was working with El Paso Christian College. Dave wanted to take me to a meal at a Mexican restaurant across the border in Juarez. We ordered our meals and while we were waiting a cat strolled out of the kitchen. I thought I was going to lose Dave. We stayed and finished our meals, but Dave was very nervous about the whole situation. Dave had one other thing to share with me in regards to a waitress with a deep voice at Denny's. But in light of our present culture I'll just have to let you guess what that was about. 

We had a great visit. I was honored by the visit and the memories. The years of college that I spent with Dave will not be forgotten. 

No comments: