Followers

Friday, February 27, 2009

Death of a Great Newspaper--the Rocky Mountain News

I have to say that I had a great feeling of sadness and nostalgia when I learned today that the 150 year old paper in Denver, Colorado, the Rocky Mountain News, was closing its doors. No, I don't have any personal ties to the paper, I do not know anyone who works there, and as a paper I will not miss it, especially since I live in eastern Kansas and we have the fabulous Kansas City Star and the Manhattan Mercury. I have other reasons to regret the passing of this paper. 

I was the 6th grade in Leadville, Colorado when I started working for the  Rocky Mountain News. My local employer was Mrs. McCaulliffe, who was married to the only Colorado Highway patrolman we had in the area. My father had met Patrolman McCaulliffe a few times for violations on the open road, but of course we were convinced that the Patrolman had it in for our father whom we believed could do no wrong. But Highway Patrolmen were not paid the fabulous salaries they get today along with many other public servants and since the McCaulliffes had a big family, Mrs. McCaulliffe became the distributor for the Rocky Mountain News

The paper route, delivered by sled in the winter or packed on my back, and on my old bicycle in summer, provided me with a little spending money that bought a few things that I thought I needed. I would deliver papers for three years on a 20 block route and faithfully collect from my customers. 

The Rocky Mountain News covered the losses that occurred when people didn't pay their bills, sometimes as much as $3.00. Likewise they would good to their carriers. Every month they provided us with a little party and if we got a few "starts" (new customers), we could win all sorts of prizes. Sometimes Mrs. McCaulliffe just gave us the prizes whether we had starts or not because she appreciated the work that we were doing for her. 

We didn't use rubber bands or plastic bags, but we learned how to fold the papers so that you could throw one 30-40 feet and it would not come open. Papers had to be delivered before we went to school, so that meant being up early and out on the street regardless of the weather. Wow, could we have used snow days!  

So to the Rocky Mountain News, I say "thanks for the memories." You were good to me in the 1950s. I am sad to see you go. 

No comments: