Followers

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Christian apologists

(picture of Carl Ketcherside)
Last week I had the opportunity of hearing in person Ravi Zacharias, a noted Christian apologist, who travels all over the world discussing the philosophical and theological issues related to Christianity. I had not been acquainted with this gentleman before, but one of the members of the church where I minister spoke highly of him. When I found out Ravi was to be in town I tried to get tickets for several of us, but the general admission tickets were gone. The lady from the local Assemblies of God asked me if was a student, on staff, or on the faculty at KSU. I told her I taught at Manhattan Christian College. She told me I could come get a free ticket. I passed the word on to my students that they could in free also by getting tickets which a number of them did. 

Ravi Zacharias had an excellent presentation. He able defended the faith in a form that would resonate with university academics. I appreciated the excellent job he did. 

The director of the Christian campus organization explained that a university was a place where all ideas could be discussed and the students allowed to sort out what they believed to be true. Therefore Christians had the right to present their position in such a setting. I wanted to shout "Amen." The university system is not open to Christian ideas and some campuses have been to remove all Christian organizations from their campuses. 

Years ago, a Church of Christ minister (non-instrumental Church of Christ) from the St. Louis, MO area carried on a similar work. Carl Ketcherside began his work of trying to get the various factions of the Restoration movement back together. He saw unity as an issue that had been long neglected. I  believe his work bore fruit and today there is more fellowship among the various factions than every before. 

But Carl was great at doing the same thing as Ravi Zacharias. He could go on college campuses, enter into debates and present Christianity in a way that resonated with college students. What most people did not know was that Carl Ketcherside had only a high school education. He did not go to college, but instead was self-taught. People who heard him were amazed at the breadth of material--historical, philosophical, and sociological--that this man had. He was a virtual walking encyclopedia. I heard him on several occasions and always enjoyed his presentations. 

Christians who can go on to college campuses are rare and they are to be commended for what they do. I thank God for the memory of Carl Ketcherside and for the present day work of Ravi Zacharias. 

No comments: