Followers

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Great Sports

We are getting close to the Olympics in Beijing, but at the moment one of the greatest sports' events that takes place every year is happening in France--the Tour de France. We have a sports package on our television that has allowed us to watch the entire race in each stage as it happens. I am amazed at the physical exertion involved by these men. Of course there is a good deal of strategy involved as well. I marvel at the hill climbs that last for miles.

When I lived in Grand Junction, Colorado I used to go out to the Colorado National Monument and ride over the top. By no means did I fly like these guys do. But I do know the thrill of the wide open downhill runs. Several years ago some good friends at Zeandale took me out to Colorado. We biked down the Glenwood Canyon, and then down Shrine Pass (a steep dirt road from the top of Vail Pass to a little town called Red Cliff. I lived on Shrine Pass for a year with my parents and siblings while our father worked in the logging business. My dream from then until the opportunity came was to ride down Shrine Pass from top to bottom.

I remember the pass was a good deal steeper than I remembered. It also was very rough. We spent our time dodging rocks and pot-holes. the shock-absorbers on our bikes were bouncing at a high frequency.

But the Tour de France is far more than a trip down Shrine Pass. I consider these men real sportsmen. They produce the horsepower and by their skill one of them will win race the race in Paris.

The greatest rider in the Tour was Lance Armstrong who won the race seven times. I admire this man because of the fact that his life was almost over due to cancer. But he fought through it and went on to become one of the greatest sportsmen of all time. Like a great quarterback on a winning football team, Lance will not soon be replaced.

The other sporting event that I faithfully watch is the Iditarod in Alaska, a dog-sled race from Anchorage to Nome that covers some rugged territory over snow and ice. Like the Tour, in the Iditarod, man and animal (and some women and animal) use their skill and strength to win the race. For some, the fact they finished means a great deal.

I watch and enjoy other sports, but the Tour de France and the Iditarod are several clicks above anything else I can think of.

No comments: