Followers

Friday, August 3, 2007

This Day in History—August 3

This day in History August 3


 

I have a daily program that comes from Britannica called "This Day in History." I have been a user of Encyclopedia Britannica since 1961 and one of my sons has my original set. Now Britannica can be purchased every year inexpensively on CD or DVD. I usually upgrade every two or three years.

However, today's list was interesting.

This is the day in 1492 that Columbus began his journey to discover America. Certainly, Columbus had no idea of the changes that his trip would bring to the world. Those three little boats set a course that would change the course of history for the entire world. Thousands would be displaced or killed. People who were fleeing from persecution would occupy new lands.

This is also the day that the first atomic submarine surfaced at the North Pole by breaking through the ice in 1958. I can remember how excited I was to read about that. Atomic power for ships was a new thing and to have a submarine that could break through the ice was just incredible. In later years, I would travel to visit my sister Susan and her husband Colin who lived near Groton, Connecticut. On one occasion, we went down to the submarine pens at Groton. There was a tour available in one of these early submarines. What seemed huge in my mind was quite small and crowded inside. Nevertheless, I could say I had been in an atomic submarine.

For my children this day in 1949 is important because it is the day the National Basketball Association was established.

For one of my good friends this day is important because in 1940 Lithuania was formally acknowledged as part of the USSR. I am not sure the Lithuanians were excited about this. In my visit to Estonia, I discovered that the Baltic peoples far preferred the Germans to the Russians when it came to occupation. Of course, they really would have preferred to be free.

It is on this day in 1914 that Germany declared war on France.

Finally, in 1583 on this day Sir Humphrey Gilbert arrived at St. John's, Newfoundland, and claimed it in the name of Queen Elizabeth I.

No comments: