Followers

Friday, November 16, 2007

Farewell to Big Guy

Before the crack of doom, before we could be accused of burning daylight, Arletta and I left Manhattan on a special delivery run. Jammed in the cab of my 1992 Ford Ranger was Arletta, myself and our big buddy—Rafiki.

Rafiki came to us about 3 ½ years ago. His owner/mistress, who happened to be our daughter, decided to come to Kansas to study law at Washburn University. Rafiki preceded her by several months as he flew from Anchorage to Kansas City International airport. We took him home in the little red pickup, but on that occasion it was warm and he was able to ride in the back. Today the temperature was about 32 degrees and we did not think the outdoor fresh air was what he needed.

Rafiki, nicknamed Big Guy, became an instant part of the family. We love him and loved in return. He always wanted to be wherever I was especially when Vicki was gone. If she came home late in the evening from school or work, she had to come to my room to get her dog, because that was where he was. Since she left in May of 2007 he has been my constant companion, mostly whenever I take a nap or go to bed. He is one of the founding members of the Nappers’ Union at our place.

Big Guy, a 90 lb American bulldog always met me at the door when I came home from work. His tailed wagged and he did his best to let me know he was excited to see me. I will miss him.

He had to leave KCI at 6:40 am today (November 16). We were to have him there by 5:00 am to check in. That made for a very short night. The clerk at Continental Airlines was very courteous. He already had all the paperwork ready and we just had to sign a few dotted lines. Rafiki was weighed in and we said our farewells.

In the warehouse area where Rafiki waited there were another 138 dogs waiting to go also. The clerk said it is the season of the year. These were all pups bound for pet stores all over the United States. And that was for just one flight. Rafiki’s big kennel looked like a pyramid or a shrine to which all the other dogs were worshiping. He probably never paid any attention.

Farewell old pal. God be with you until we meet again.

No comments: