Followers

Monday, May 28, 2007

African Bible Commentary

I lived in Nairobi Kenya for three years and taught Bible, Church History, and Theology at Daystar University College. I met hundreds of fine African scholars along the way. One thing that was noteworthy about them was their high regard for the Bible. Even though they came from backgrounds that included the worship of demons and spirits, they maintained what would be considered a very conservative theological position in regard to Christianity. For example, the Anglican church of Africa has rejected the position held by the Anglican church in the USA that homosexuality is not a sin.

My daughter-in-law, Alisha Paddock, is a fine scholar in her own right. We went to her graduation at Emmanuel School of Religion last week. While there she gave me a copy of the African Bible Commentary, recently published by Zondervan.

I decided that I would read the entire commentary as I prepared for classes. I started out with the book of Matthew in conjunction with my course, "Life and Teachings of Jesus." Immediately I was impressed with the quality of the writing and scholarship presented by the African writers.

My final point is simple. If you are looking for an excellent one-volume commentary on the Bible, then the African Bible Commentary is an excellent choice.

Thanks, Alisha. A great gift.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

your scholarly d-i-l says that you should write a review and publish it.